Source: Mnet Asian Music Awards
Mnet Asian Music Awards
Source: Mnet Asian Music Awards

Once again K-pop fans, awards season is upon us! Fans across the globe have taken to the Mwave website to vote for their favorites as the clock ticks down to the Mnet Asian Music Awards (commonly referred to as ‘MAMAs’). Voting is more important than ever this year since Mnet rolled out new judging criteria increasing the weight of fan voting towards the final results for awards this time around.

Last year, fan voting accounted for 20% of the total criteria for the Artist of the Year. This year, voting weighs in for an extra 10%, raising fan voting to 30% of the total impact on who will win the aforementioned award for 2017. Additionally, the criteria for Song of the Year has also been adjusted. Now fan voting has increased from just 10% in 2016 to 20% this year. Fans are eager to have their votes count in the hopes of helping to secure these prestigious awards. Other judging criteria for the awards include a panel of experts, music sales, and record sales which weigh in to varying degrees for each category.

Source: TWICE Official Twitter. The JYP girl group took home the award for Song of the Year at the 2016 MAMA Awards

Other big changes have made their way to the MAMAs for 2017, least of all being the announcement that this year the awards ceremony will not be held all in one night and one location. For the past four years, the MAMA awards have been held in Hong Kong exclusively, with the ceremony taking place all at once. However, this year Mnet is holding the awards in three locations over several days. The awards kick off on November 25th in Vietnam and will continue in Japan on November 29th finally coming to an end in Hong Kong on November 30th and December 1st.

For more information about the awards show head to the Mwave website and don’t forget to cast your vote!



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.